About the Department of Environment, Forestry, and Fisheries
The Department of Environment, Forestry, and Fisheries, which was formerly known as the Department of Environmental Affairs, is a governmental establishment that manages local forestry and fishery function in South Africa. The department bears the responsibility of promoting environmental awareness and how it is so important within the general public.
The department strives to implement environmental laws as an effort to strengthen the conservation of oceans, improve the quality of air, and preserving the country’s rich biodiversity. Strategies are conceptualized and executed to give citizens the right to a more protected environment. Hopefully, the departments efforts bear fruitful results with a global community that is more sustainable and environmentally-friendly.
About the Department of Environment, Forestry, and Fisheries Bursaries 2022
The Department of Environment, Forestry, and Fisheries is offering financial assistance in the form of bursaries to a number of academically-driven students. The Department of Environment, Forestry, and Fisheries Bursaries is an initiative conducted to uplift the potential of young learners within local communities. The bursaries are offered for the 2022academic year and are only available for learners who plan on pursuing full-time studies.
The Department of Environment, Forestry, and Fisheries Bursaries are only offered for these study fields listed below:
BIODIVERSITY AND CONSERVATION (REF: B&C/01/2022)
- BSc Geology
- BA Environmental Economics
- BSc Zoology and Botany
- BA Environmental Management/Science
- National Diploma: Eco-tourism/Game range management
- BSc Environmental Management majoring Environmental Law
- National Diploma: Nature Conservation
FISHERIES (REF: FI/01/2022)
- B.Sc./Hons./M.Tech./M.Sc./D.Tech./Ph.D: Ichthyology specialising in Aquaculture
- B.Sc./Hons/M.Tech./M.Sc./D.Tech/Ph.D: Marine Biology
- ND/B.Sc./Hons./M.Tech/M.Sc./D.Tech/Ph.D.: Marine Science
- B.Sc./Hons./M.Tech./M.Sc./D.Tech/Ph.D: Oceanography and Marine Biology
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.)
CHEMICALS AND WASTE MANAGEMENT (Ref: CWM/01/2022)
- BSc/Hons/Masters: Microbiology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biotechnology
- B Degree/Hons/Masters: Natural Science (Geography, Chemistry, Hydrology, Water)
- National Diploma/B Tech/B Degree/Hons/Masters: Environmental Management
- National Diploma/B Tech/B Degree/Hons/Masters: Waste Management
- National Diploma/B Tech/B Degree/Hons/Masters: Environmental Science
CLIMATE CHANGE, AIR QUALITY AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT (REF: CCAS/01/2022)
- BSc Chemistry
- National Diploma/B Degree Earth Science
- BSc/National Diploma Environmental Science
- National Diploma/B Degree Conservation
- National Diploma/B Degree Hydrology
- National Diploma/B Degree Natural Science
- BSc/National Diploma Environmental Management
FORESTRY (REF: FO/01/2022)
- BHons Forestry
- National Diploma/BTech/MTech Forestry
- Msc Forestry
- BSc Forestry/Bachelor of Forestry Management
REGULATORY COMPLIANCE AND SECTOR MONITORING (REF: RCSM/01/2022)
- Bachelor of Environmental Management
- BSc Chemistry, Botany
- A Diploma or Degree in Paralegal
- Bachelor of Environmental Sciences (majoring in Animal and wildlife management)
- LLB (Major courses Administrative law, legislative drafting, Environmental Law)
- majoring in Environmental Impact Assessment
- BA Law
- BSc/Honours in Geography or Geoinformatics
OCEANS AND COAST (REF: OC/01/2022)
- B Environmental Law
- BSc Environmental Science/Management
- BSc/Hons/MSc Mathematical Modelling, Computer Science or Information Systems Engineering
- BSc/Hons/Masters Environmental Economics
- B Degree Coastal Management
- ND/BTech/BEng/Hons/Electronics/Mechanical/Electro-mechanical Engineering
- ND/B Tech/BSc Hons/MSc/PhD: Marine Science
- B Tech/M Tech/Hons/MA Environmental Economics
- B Tech/M Tech/Hons/MSc/Oceanography
ENVIRONMENTAL PROGRAMMES (REF: EP/01/2022)
- B Degree/Hons/Masters: Social Science
- Hons Economics
- BSc Environmental Science majoring Biological Resources
- BSc Biological Science
- B Sc/Hons/Masters Environmental Science/Environmental Law/Environmental Economics/Water Resource
Awardees of the Department of Environment, Forestry, and Fisheries Bursaries are entitled to a coverage of up to R40 000. The funds can be used to cover tuition expenses, prescribed study materials, monthly stipends, and all sorts of other school-related fees. Please be kindly informed that the bursary is only awarded provided that you meet the qualifications of the bursary programme.
Before you can register for the Department of Environment, Forestry, and Fisheries Bursaries, candidates must fulfill the requirements first. Each of these qualifications will be used by the selection committee to evaluate all candidates on a fair basis. This is to make sure that the committee can see which candidates truly deserve the financial assistance to pursue their tertiary education. Failure to meet these items will cause disadvantageous consequences towards the overall results of your applications.
The Department of Environment, Forestry, and Fisheries Bursaries Eligibility Criteria are as follows:
- Officially recognized as a citizen of South Africa
- Must not be an employee of the Department of Environment, Forestry, and Fisheries
- Recognized as a full-time student
- Not employed by company during the time of the bursary
- Has completed their first year of undergraduate studies, or is planning to enroll in postgraduate studies
- Current first year students are given consideration provided they shows impeccable academic results
- Pursuing any one of the study fields mentioned above
- Displays capable leadership qualities
- Possess an impressive academic track record
- Consideration will be offered to certain designated groups, such as Previously Disadvantaged Individuals and People with Disabilities.
Download: application form Department of Environment, Forestry, and Fisheries Bursaries 2022.
Once you have downloaded the official application form, please take a look the instructions below:
- Use BLOCK LETTERS to fill in the queries
- Provide brief answers
- Put in “X” on all applicable parts
- Fill in the application form completely.
Additionally, candidates must prepare an application dossier with these supporting documents:
- A clear letter of motivation explaining why you deserve the bursary
- Valid copies of your Identity Document (applicant’s ID as well as parents/guardians’ ID)
- Valid copies of your available qualification and latest academic track records
- A letter of acceptance from first year students
- Valid proof of admissions (if already registered in a tertiary institution)
- Valid proof of parents/guardians’ household income
- Applicants with deceased parents must provide proof
- Applicants with unemployed parents must provide an affidavit.
Once you have compiled everything, please submit your application dossiers either through Hand Delivery/Courier, or Postal Carriage.
Hand Deliveries Or Courier:
Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries, 473 Steve Biko Street Cnr Steve Biko and Soutpansberg Road Arcadia Pretoria.
Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries, 63 Strand Street, 13th Floor Nedbank Building, Cape Town
The Director-General, Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries,
Private Bag X447,
Attention: Learning and Development (Bursary Section).
Applications must be sent through either one of these methods. Candidates discovered to be making submissions through e-mail or fax will automatically be disqualified from the registration procedure.
Note: make sure that you indicate your reference number as well as the study field of your choice on your applications.
Applications for the Department of Environment, Forestry, and Fisheries Bursaries must be send before the closing date on 20 November 2020.
The selection committee will not be accepting any applications sent past the closing date. Since there is ample time left, we advise you to start preparing your applications as soon as possible. You can still check if you have any missing documents or if there are any unanswered queries on your application form.
Announcements are only made to shortlisted candidates. Should you not hear back from the committee by the end of January 2022, we regret to inform you that you have not been selected for the bursary programme.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to sign a legitimate bursary contract. This agreement will list out all of the terms and conditions of the bursary that you will need to abide to.
Should you have any questions or concerns regarding the Department of Environment, Forestry, and Fisheries Bursaries, do not hesitate to reach out to this contact person below.
Mokhobo Putu +27 12 399 9018/+27 66 081 2662
Joshua Moepya +27 12 399 8682/+27 67 417 3739
Busisiwe Stemele +27 12 399 8685/+27 66 156 0042
Neliswa Magwala +27 21 814 8089/+27 66 081 9858
Sarah Mathunyane +27 21 814 8084/+27 67 417 3719
Mooketsa Mabe +27 21 402 3412/+27 71 540 2685
Mpho Beta +27 21 402 3368