About Abe Bailey
Abe Bailey, who was born and raised on the Witwatersrand, was the head of the Bailey Group of gold mines. Bailey went on to become involved in South African politics, and after Rhodes’ death in 1902, he was appointed to serve as Rhodes’ successor in Parliament as the Member of Parliament for Barkly West. As Krugersdorp’s representative in the first Transvaal Parliamentary elections in 1908, he became well-known for his abilities to mediate between competing political groupings in the years that followed.
Following the death of Sir Abe Bailey in 1940, the Abe Bailey Trust and the Travel Bursary were founded under the provisions of his Will. The Abe Bailey Trust’s Trustees make financial assistance available for travel bursaries, which are referred to as the Abe Bailey Travel Bursaries, to deserving students. These Go Bursaries provide a chance for chosen university students and university personnel with junior lecturer level to travel to the United Kingdom for educational purposes.
About the Abe Bailey Travel Bursary 2022
Abe Bailey is offering a Travel Bursary for anybody looking for an all-expenses paid educational trip to England and Scotland that lasts for three weeks. The Abe Bailey Travel Bursary is offered once a year and covers the cost of a three-week educational trip of England and Scotland, with all costs reimbursed.
Candidates will be asked to participate in all organized events as well as complete the whole program as outlined in their selection letter. During the course of the program, there will be a few brief moments where Bursars will be able to plan their own activities on their own time.
Those who have been chosen as Travel Bursars from South African colleges will convene in Cape Town on November 22nd for three days of orientation before flying to London. By the commencement of the orientation session, all bursars are needed to be in Cape Town and present themselves at the orientation site. If you decide to join the trip after that moment, you will not be able to miss any of the orientation events in Cape Town, whether it is because of a graduation ceremony or test, an interview, or any other personal reason.
Flights between Cape Town and London in economy class, as well as ground transportation between interior university centers and Cape Town, are all included in the price of the course. It includes the costs of putting on the Tour and all excursions in accordance with the agreed itinerary and schedule. The Trustees may also approve the release of money to pay out-of-pocket expenditures incurred in the United Kingdom, at their discretion.
If you’re certain of joining the Abe Bailey Travel Bursary, feel free to sign up! If you are still unsure whether you’d make a good fit, don’t worry. All you have to do is check the requirements below and re-check your qualifications with the selection committee’s standards. If you’d like to stand a chance of acceptance, make sure you fulfill all of the criteria that are mentioned. Failure to do so might not get you automatically disqualified, but it could reduce your chances of acceptance.
The Abe Bailey Travel Bursary Eligibility Criteria are as follows:
- Travel Bursars must have a decent command of the English language in order to communicate effectively with the other members of the Tour party as well as with individuals whom they will encounter throughout the course of the Tour’s international travels
- Third-year students and above, as well as members of staff with Junior Lecturer rank, are eligible to apply
- Nominees must be of South African nationality, possess (or be able to get) a valid South African passport, and have no barriers to obtaining a visa to enter the United Kingdom
- They should also be physically healthy in order to participate in walking tours and to deal with the rigorous schedule of activities planned for them
- It is permissible to designate married people as Bursars with the understanding that the Bursar would not be accompanied by his or her spouse should the Travel Bursary be awarded to that individual
- Nominees must affirm that they understand and agree with the objectives of the Travel Bursary
- Nominees must beat or under the age of 25 at the time of the Tour’s commencement. i.e., they could not have reached the age of 26 at the time of the Tour’s start.
Apply directly to your own university (Abe Bailey Travel Bursary 2022).
Students apply to their home institution in response to an invitation to apply sent by that university to students from other universities.
Each year, in March, the Abe Bailey Trust sends a request to each institution, asking them to publicize the travel bursary and encouraging students to apply for it. Applicants must submit their applications by a certain deadline, and the institution specifies which documents are required and to whom they should be delivered.
Each institution sets a screening committee, which is often comprised of past bursars from that university, which accepts applications, interviews chosen individuals, and then nominates three names to the Abe Bailey Trustees in the order of their choice, as outlined above.
Your applications should contain the following information:
- Name and mailing address
- Date of birth and your nationality
- School(s) that you attended
- Certificate of completion of high school
- Degree(s)/diploma(s) from a university, as well as courses and outcomes
- Participation in extracurricular activities
- Specifics on leadership responsibilities as well as social and community service
- A brief description of any past travels to the United Kingdom, including the dates and purposes of such visits
- Confirmation of the possession of a current South African passport
- Letter from two references, describing the nominee’s academic and leadership achievements, as well as his or her appropriateness for the Travel Bursary’s objectives, must be sent with your application for consideration
- Written justification stating why the applicant is applying for the Travel Bursary and how the applicant intends to accomplish the objectives of the program. The benefits include learning about and understanding diverse cultures, meeting new people, and widening one’s perspective on current topics. To be considered for the position of Abe Bailey Travel Bursar, you must have the capacity to listen and articulate yourself confidently, as well as the ability to conceive and communicate your own opinions
- The original and a copy of the identification document
- Covid vaccination confirmation.
Applications for the Abe Bailey Travel Bursary must be submitted before the closing date on 07 March 2021.
The selection committee has absolute zero tolerance for late applications. Submissions made past the closing date will not be acknowledged during the registration period.
Candidates are advised to send in their applications as soon as possible. This will leave you with some time to properly evaluate the contents of your applications. Kindly prepare your applications at your earliest convenience.
Abe Bailey Travel reserves the rights to make an appointment or not during the recruitment process. All decisions made by the selection committee are final.