Eskom has earned a name for themselves in the continent for becoming one of Africa’s largest electricity provider. Just in South Africa alone, 95% of its electricity is generated by Eskom alone, whereas within the entire continent of Africa, Eskom is responsible for 45% of the land’s electricity.
The company does not just generate electricity – it also operates in the transmission and distributing field. Most of the electricity that’s produced is provided to a variety of sectors, from industrial and mining, to agricultural and residential clients.
The involvement of Eskom has lead to South Africa’s gradual increase in the use of electricity within the nation. Due to this growing demand, Eskom has committed themselves to constantly developing their business to make sure that they are able to supply both the country and the continent with abundant electricity in the future.
Eskom Artisan Learnership Programme
Besides establishing as a company, Eskom also holds several programmes to provide high quality training for the local youth. One of these programs include the Eskom Artisan Learnership. This learnership is a tad bit different. While other programme lasts for as long as 12 months, this one spans throughout a period of 3 years.
During this time frame, selected candidates will be given the chance to have their skills trained and sharpened for the real working world. Through various on the job training activities, candidates will qualify for a trade test certificate once they finish their learnership.
As of now, the Eskom is offering some programmes, which are:
- Technician Learnership for 11 learners
- Plant Operator Learnership for 90 learners
- Artisan Learnership for 92 learners.
With a total of 193 available learnership spots, everyone is highly encouraged to give this programme a shot. This includes candidates from under-represented minority groups, such as youths living with disabilities.
Eskom Artisan Learnership Requirements
Just like most learnership progammes, the Eskom Artisan Learnership is no different. This programme has a certain set of eligibility criteria that candidates must fulfill in order to be considered qualified enough for the learnership. Should any of these criteria not be met, candidates may face the risk of having their applications dismissed.
- Has passed Grade 12/NCV (Level 4) with an average of 50% for Mathematics and Physical Science, also 40% for English or has earned an N3 Engineering qualification with a 50% for English.
- Displays good communication skills
- Has a practical sense of self-discipline
- Knows how to be resilient
- Is easily motivated
- Able to follow safety rules
- Can take accountability of their actions
- Able to operate a computer well.
How to Apply:
If you have met the all of the requirements of the Eskom Artisan Learnership programme, now is the time to apply. Applications for this programme are a bit different compared to other learnerships. Depending on which position you would like to sign up for, you will be required to access different application websites. To visit them, you can simply click one of the provided link below:
2. Plant Operator Learnership for 90 learners
– Learner Plant Operators X21 (Kendal, Kusile, Matla, Lethabo)
– Learner Plant Operators X 6 (Generation Division)
– Learner Plant Operators X17 – Camden, Majuba, Kriel, Duvha
– Learner Plant Operators X41 Cluster 2/Medupi, Matimba, Tutuka, Arnot, Hendrina) Generation-Division)
– Generation Division, Learner Plant Operators X5 (Peaking Power Stations) Palmiet PS, Gariep PS, Vanderkloof PS
3. Artisan Learnership for 92 learners.
– Generation Division, Learner Artisans X4 (Peaking Power Stations) Ankerlig, Palmiet, Drakensberg, Gourikwa PS
– Generation Division, Learner Artisans X42 (Koeberg PS)
– Generation Division – Learner Artisans X14 (Cluster 3) Kriel, Duvha, Majuba
– Generation Division – Learner Artisan X19 (Cluster 2) Matimba, Arnot, Hendrina, Tutuka
– Learner Artisans X13 (Cluster 1) Kendal, Lethabo and Matla Power Stations.
Or please drop your documents: certified ID copy, uptodate CV, and copies of certified completed qualification at nearest Eskom Power Station. DON’T FORGET TO QUOTE THE REFERENCE NUMBER IN YOUR APPLICATION.
NB: ESKOM ONLY ALLOW ONE APPLICATION PER APPLICANT.
Applications for the Eskom Artisan Learnerships must be submitted before the closing date on 26 August 2022.
Once you are done applying for your the position of your choice, please wait up to 4 weeks after the closing for the official announcements. All selected candidates should have been notified by then. However, if you did not get the call from the programme during that time period, unfortunately, your application has not passed the programme.