Over four decades ago, Shoprite made a commitment to provide its customers with the most competitive prices for top-quality food and household items. This pledge has not only been the cornerstone of their business but has also propelled their expansion into the largest supermarket store chain in Africa. Today, with over 500 locations and a customer base exceeding 20 million, the Shoprite group remains steadfast in offering communities a diverse range of food products, household goods, home appliances, and value-added services at the most affordable rates across the continent.
Shoprite’s dedication to its workforce is a testament to its belief in nurturing talent and fostering internal growth. Through skill-development programs, employees are not only recognized for their hard work but are also equipped with the tools needed to excel within the company. This approach has led to numerous success stories, where employees who started at the front lines have risen to become key decision-makers, playing pivotal roles in steering the direction of the organization.
About the Shoprite Database Administrator Apprenticeship 2024
Shoprite is offering an apprenticeship for candidates who would like to receive credible practical working experience as a professional Database Administrator. The Shoprite Database Administrator Apprenticeship necessitates your active participation in supporting the database administration team in the oversight and upkeep of system databases. In close collaboration with the database administration team, you will play a vital role in ensuring the integrity, security, and optimal functionality of databases.
Your responsibilities extend to working in tandem with the team and other Information Technology Professionals to plan and carry out the implementation, monitoring, and support for database solutions and activities. This dynamic role is set in a customer-facing, fast-paced, and agile environment, offering ample challenges and significant opportunities for professional growth.
The Shoprite Database Administrator Apprenticeship also requires you to perform the duties below:
- Aid in database administration tasks, such as performing backups, restoring data, and monitoring databases to ensure they operate optimally.
- Collaborate with experienced database administrators to design, develop, and implement new processes and structures for databases.
- Work with the IT team to detect and resolve performance issues, such as slow response times or system crashes.
- Assist in database performance tuning, optimization, and troubleshooting.
- Acquire knowledge in maintaining database security and access control by implementing measures such as firewalls, encryption, and password policies.
- Support end-users by helping them navigate and troubleshoot any issues they encounter.
- Contribute to the documentation of processes and procedures for database systems, creating manuals and user guides for new software and features.
- Participate in meetings and training sessions to enhance knowledge and skills in database administration.
- Learn to analyze data using visualization tools, providing insights and recommendations based on the data.
- Assist in the implementation, testing, and troubleshooting of new software releases and database functionality.
- Cultivate and sustain relationships with team members and departmental stakeholders.
For application purposes, please kindly take note of the Shoprite Database Administrator Apprenticeship 2024’s Reference Number: SHO231113-3.
If you are certain about your interest in joining the Shoprite Database Administrator Apprenticeship, please proceed with the sign-up process. If you are unsure about your fit, don’t worry. Just carefully assess your qualifications against the criteria set by the selection committee and the prerequisites outlined below. To enhance your chances of acceptance, it is crucial to ensure that you meet all the requirements. While not meeting them may not result in automatic disqualification, it could diminish your likelihood of being accepted.
The Shoprite Database Administrator Apprenticeship Eligibility Criteria are as follows:
- Complete or possess a degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field.
- Gain some experience in IT, emphasizing comprehension of database development, administration, and support.
- Understand database systems and structures.
- Demonstrate proficiency in SQL or Non-SQL, and handle database management tools like MySQL, SQL Server, MongoDB, etc.
- Acquire knowledge of data analytics and visualization tools, such as Tableau.
- Motivate yourself to set, meet, and exceed goals and expectations.
- Foster curiosity and a willingness to learn—proactively identify new areas for learning, seize opportunities, and apply new knowledge and skills on the job.
- Develop good communication skills—communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, explain technical concepts, and confidently convey information to stakeholders. Compile well-developed and visual reports.
- Work effectively under pressure and within tight time constraints in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
- Embrace creativity and innovation—approach situations with an open mind and present unique solutions to problems rather than relying on others.
- Utilize data to investigate problems, identify patterns, and extract insights.
- Stay updated on the latest research and developments in Data Administration and related fields to apply the most recent technology, techniques, and methods.
- Demonstrate integrity and take accountability for actions and mistakes.
Apply online: Shoprite Database Administrator Apprenticeship 2024.
It is recommended to utilize Google Chrome as your browser when accessing the specified website.
To submit applications, candidates must initially register on the application platform. This account will be essential throughout the registration process.
Alternatively, you can opt to register using Google, Facebook, or LinkedIn, saving a significant amount of time by avoiding the need to create an account from scratch.
For added convenience, you have the option to submit your application via your phone, particularly if it is more convenient than using a computer. If you have an Android-powered phone, you can use Google Chrome as your web browser, eliminating the need for additional installations as it comes pre-installed on OS Android smartphones.
It is crucial to keep your account details secure to ensure the ongoing security of your account. Never disclose your password or any other account information to third parties.
All information provided will be kept private and reviewed by both you and the rest of the selection committee. Therefore, it is essential to conduct a thorough check to verify the accuracy of the data.
The selection committee will use the information you provide to handle your registration for the event. By submitting your application, you authorize the committee to use your personal information for this purpose.
Candidates are required to use the aforementioned website to submit their applications. Attempts to submit materials through any other method, including hand delivery or fax, will be rejected by the reviewing committee.
Applications for the Shoprite Database Administrator Apprenticeship must be submitted before the closing date on 20 November 2023.
It is recommended to submit your applications at the earliest opportunity to enhance your chances of securing a position during the registration process. Doing so not only minimizes the risk of encountering last-minute issues, such as unexpected high Internet traffic or data loss but also increases your likelihood of being selected.
Applications submitted after the specified deadline will not be reviewed by the selection committee and will be automatically disqualified.
Only shortlisted candidates will receive notifications. If you haven’t received any communication from the selection committee within 14 days of submitting your application, unfortunately, your application was not successful.
Shoprite reserves the right to grant or deny employment at its discretion. The decisions made by the selection committee are conclusive and binding on all parties involved.