About the SMU (Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University)
Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU) is a public university in South Africa that specializes in health sciences. It was established in 2015, following the merger of the Medical University of Southern Africa (MEDUNSA) and the University of Limpopo’s health sciences faculty. The university is located in Ga-Rankuwa, north of Pretoria, and offers various undergraduate and postgraduate programs in medicine, nursing, dentistry, pharmacy, allied health sciences, and other health-related fields.
SMU is committed to producing highly skilled and socially responsible health professionals who can address the country’s health challenges. Apart from academic programs, SMU also provides clinical services, conducts research, and collaborates with other institutions and organizations in the health sector to improve healthcare delivery and outcomes.
About the SMU (Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University) Bursary 2023
SMU (Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University) is offering a bursary for candidates looking for financial assistance to fund their postgraduate education. The SMU (Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University) Bursary can only be used for paying tuition fees. The Postgraduate Tuition Bursary is limited to the total tuition amount required for the academic year in which the student is registered for the prescribed period of study. A renewed bursary is only available for 2nd-year Masters or 2nd and 3rd-year PhD students who have previously received the bursary and continue to satisfy the bursary requirements (including submission of a comprehensive postgraduate progress report signed by the student and supervisors).
Are you confident in your ability to apply for the SMU (Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University) Bursary? If so, don’t delay – submit your application promptly! However, before doing so, it is crucial to review the eligibility requirements for the position. These criteria will determine whether you meet the qualifications for the role or not. To assess your eligibility, please refer to the criteria listed below. To increase your chances of success, it is recommended that you satisfy all the criteria on the list.
The SMU (Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University) Bursary Eligibility Criteria are as follows:
- The University’s Postgraduate Tuition Bursary is only available to postgraduate students who are entering for the first time and are not employed or receiving any other bursary
- Honours-1 year (First time entering honours students qualify if they have obtained 70% and above in the final year of undergraduate study for the subject(s) or course(s) which they intend pursuing)
- Master’s Degrees – 2 years
- Professional Master’s Degrees – 4-5 years((Motivation required for 5th year of study)
- Doctoral Degrees – 3/4 year (Motivation required for 4th year of study).
- Students who meet the eligibility requirements but do not complete their studies within the minimum duration required for the degree will become ineligible for the bursary
- Applicants who are funded by their employers or other sources are not eligible to apply for the bursary
- Those who are enrolling in a program that is equivalent to one they have already completed are also ineligible
- Similarly, students who have previously registered with a different institution for the same qualification are not eligible
- Additionally, retrospective applications are not permitted.
Download the Application Form: SMU (Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University) Bursary 2023.
Kindly enter your most pertinent answers in the designated sections of the application website. It is imperative that all the personal details you provide are precise and aligned with your current situation.
Additionally, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Certified copy of identity document
- An acceptance letter from the School indicating the student number, degree accepted to study and the discipline
- Certified copy of degree certificate (s)
- Certified copy of detailed transcript of academic record/s
- Students in 2nd or 3rd year of studies must include SMUREC certificate
- Curriculum vitae (Maximum 2 pages).
Once everything is ready, please send in your applications through either one of the following methods:
- Email Address: [email protected]
- Physical Address: Basement, Clinical Pathology Building
- Postal Carriage: PO Box 69, Medunsa 0204
By sending in your applications, you are hereby giving permission to the selection committee to have your personal information utilized for registration purposes.
Applications will go through additional review and vetting processes to ensure that the applicants are legitimate. Anyone found to have lied about anything on their application will not be allowed to register during the registration period.
Applications for the SMU (Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University) Bursary must be submitted before the closing date on 30 March 2023.
To increase your chances of securing a spot during the registration period and avoid any unforeseen last-minute incidents such as heavy internet traffic or missing documents, it is advisable to submit your applications as early as possible.
It is important to note that applications for the programme must be submitted before the closing date. Late applications will not be accepted by the selection committee and will result in disqualification from the programme.
During the recruitment period, SMU (Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University) reserves the right to appoint any candidate. The decisions made by the selection committee are final.