LegalWise is a South African firm that specialises in para-legal services. Since its establishment in the late 1970s, the firm has always been an advocate for justice and strives to grant affordable access to legal assistance no matter what demographic you come from. By giving everyone the opportunity to consult with a professional lawyer, the firm hopes they are able to provide people with the chance to tap into their basic rights as a citizen and a human. At the moment, LegalWise is made up of a team of qualified legal counsellors and a panel of attorneys that have are skilled in providing legal representation.
About the LegalWise Bursaries 2022
LegalWise is offering financial assistance for bright-minded South African students who are pursuing their education in different accredited universities. The LegalWise Bursaries program is an all-inclusive program that accepts applicants from a variety of diverse backgrounds. As an awardee, you will get all of the assistance you need to complete your academic degree or certificate program successfully. If you have consistently achieved high academic results while also demonstrating important characteristics as a student, you are strongly urged to apply for this position.
- University of the Western Cape
- University of Kwa-Zulu Natal
- University of Pretoria
- University of Limpopo
- University of Stellenbosch
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- University of the Free State
- University of Cape Town
- Rhodes University
- University of Witwatersrand (WITS)
- University of Johannesburg
- University of Fort Hare
- North-West University (Mafikeng or Potchefstroom campus)
- In order to qualify for a bursary, the recipient must finish their studies in the minimum number of years specified by the university where they have enrolled, which is usually four years. If the Bursary Holder fails to comply with this requirement, the Bursary Holder may be forced to return LegalWise the entire amount of the Bursary granted
- During their University vacation periods, bursary recipients will be expected to work in the LegalWise branch that is closest to their residence. A total of 5 weeks of vacation work is required each year, divided into two weeks during the June vacation and three weeks during the December vacation. Training will be given, and Bursary Holders will be compensated for their time spent in this capacity
- The completion of their vacation and service level obligations at Roodepoort, Gauteng, will be expected of Bursary Holders studying BCOM (Accounting), BCOM (Human Resource Management), BCOM (Management), or BCOM (Industrial Psychology). All travel and lodging expenses will be covered by the participants themselves
- In order to maintain eligibility for a bursary, recipients will be expected to complete a service level obligation with the company after completion of their degree. In addition, for each year for which the Bursary was granted, 6 months of paid service will be required.
- There will be no payment given towards historical debt in respect of studies that have already been finished or for courses that you did not complete in the previous academic year
- It is a partial scholarship given to pay yearly registration and tuition costs up to a maximum value of R40 000, with the highest amount awarded being R40 000
- Annual renewal of the Bursary is possible provided that the Bursary Holder maintains satisfactory academic performance, completes and performs satisfactorily during their compulsory holiday employment at a LegalWise Branch, and complies with the terms and conditions of their LegalWise Bursary Agreement
- The payment of fees is contingent on the student’s academic achievement during the year, as well as the timely submission of all results and financial records to the Bursary Administrator on a quarterly basis.
Before submitting your applications for the LegalWise Bursaries, candidates must first ensure that they meet the necessary qualifying requirements. Each of the criteria listed below will decide whether or not you have what it takes to be considered for this bursary program. Candidates are strongly encouraged to fulfill all of the criteria listed below in order to ensure a successful application. Your applications will suffer negative repercussions if you do not complete this step. Ensure that you take note of these points for your own reference.
The LegalWise Bursaries Eligibility Criteria are as follows:
- There are no bursaries available for part-time or correspondence courses at this time. There will be no exceptions to this rule
- Candidates who have been shortlisted will be asked to attend an interview at their local LegalWise branch before the end of the current calendar year
- Your English language skills, as well as your ability to read and write in at least one additional official language, should be excellent
- You, your parent(s), or your legal guardian must be a fully paid-up member of LegalWise in order to use this service. This Membership must have been in good standing for a minimum of two years previous to application. There will be no exceptions to this rule
- For first-year students, there are no bursaries available. Only students who have finished, or who are in the process of finishing, their first year of study will be considered for this opportunity. There will be no exceptions to this rule
- Additionally, you should demonstrate perseverance, a good attitude, and an unwavering dedication to success in addition to academic accomplishment. You should also be able to take the initiative and work well with others in a group setting
- You must have received at least a “C” average (60 percent) in your prior year of study in order to qualify. There will be no exceptions to this rule
- It is only for the next year that bursaries are granted, not for the year in which the application was submitted
- You should be able to interact with others and communicate well with them
- A full-time student at an authorized university who is presently enrolled in one of the following degrees is required to be eligible for this scholarship:
- BCOM (Human Resource Management)
- BA (Law)
- BCOM (Law)
- BCOM (Accounting)
- BCOM (Management)
- BCOM (Industrial Psychology)
Download application form: LegalWise Bursaries 2022.
Once you have downloaded the application form, please fill it in with the appropriate answers. Be sure to read the instructions carefully before you put something in.
Additionally you will be required to provide the following documents:
- A copy of your latest student account from the University reflecting all transactions
- Proof of income* for both your Parent(s), Legal Guardian or Spouse (e.g. *payslip, letter from employer, proof of SASSA grants, sworn affidavit or tax return statement not older than 3 months)
- Confirmation from the University that you are currently registered to study one of the approved degrees previously listed
- A motivation/essay giving details about yourself and why you should be selected as a LegalWise Bursary Holder. Please limit your essay to 750 words
- Your Parent, Legal Guardian or friend may also write a letter of recommendation for you
- A copy of your final Matric results and a complete academic transcript from your tertiary institution, including a copy of your latest exam results for the first semester
- A certified copy of your South African ID (applicant) and certified copies of the IDs of your Parent(s) or legally appointed Guardian
- Proof that you are the biological or adopted child of a LegalWise Member or under the legal guardianship of a LegalWise Member (birth certificate of the child of principal Member, marriage certificate, copy of Membership card, court order granting guardianship) or a LegalWise Member yourself.
Please send in your certified copies of the documents. Do not send in your original copies.
Once everything is all in order, you can submit your applications via either one of the methods below:
Postal Carriage: External Bursary Department, c/o LegalWise, P O Box 1524, Florida, 1709
Scan and Email: [email protected]
Fax: +27 11 670 4557
Hand Delivery: your nearest LegalWise Branch.
Applications for the LegalWise Bursaries must be submitted before the closing date on 30 September 2021.
Late applications will not be accepted by the selection committee under any circumstances. Submissions that are received after the closing date will not be recognized during the time of registration.
It is recommended that candidates submit their applications as soon as possible after learning of their selection. You will have more time to fully examine the substance of your applications as a result of this arrangement. Please begin preparing your applications as soon as you get the opportunity.
During the recruiting process, LegalWise has the right to make or decline a job offer to any candidate. The selecting committee’s judgments are final and binding on all parties involved.